I love Fried Chicken! Who Doesn’t? Lets face it fried chicken is soo delicious but unfortunately for me and the rest of the world it is soo horrible for you… So I came up with a solution… Baked “not fried” Drumsticks AKA Chicken Legs.. You can not even tell they aren’t fried with a few little tricks and believe me it took a while to get this one right… You will need a pan with a rack for this… I use a cookie sheet with two baking racks on it…
15 Drumsticks (I bought a club pack)
1/4 cup of cornstarch
1/8 of a cup Quick Oats
1/2 cup Flour (I used all purpose)
1 tbsp pepper
1 tbsp sea salt
Non-stick cooking spray
1) Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Next put baking racks on cookie sheet, and spray with non-stick cooking spray
1) In a gallon size storage bag add cornstarch, quick oats, flour, pepper and sea salt… then zip the bag and shake it to mix it all well
2) Crack raw egg into a bowl and mix with a fork to use for coating the drumsticks… Coat the drum sticks 4-5 at a time put them in the storage bag with your mix and shake them until they are covered
3) Put the coated Drumsticks on the racks and then repeat this process with the remaining drumsticks until they are all coated on the rack
4) Bake drumsticks on 375 degrees for 60 minutes then turn oven up to 400 degrees and cook for 15-20 minutes more or until very crispy..
My kids, husband and I had these tonight and they were a true hit! Hope you enjoy the baked version of the unhealthy southern fried chicken we are all so used too… Feel free to leave your feedback and questions!
Below is a picture of our entire meal…. Baked Drumsticks, Fresh local Sweet corn and broccoli in my special cheese sauce 🙂